8.20.2012

DIY: Chair Makeover

Last summer, while preparing to move into our new home, I designed and planned our future master bedroom. We selected and ordered our new furniture, I designed a DIY headboard and bench, I chose the paint colours and curtains. But, what I did have a problem with was an empty corner beside our window. I knew that it was in desperate need of an accent chair. But, paying $199-$299 for an accent chair that, let's face it, I'll never sit in, seemed excessive.

So, I decided to redo an old chair myself. Sure why not? I've never upholstered before (we did a DIY headboard in our last house, but that's far from being considered upholstering). But, I was positive that I could do this.

On to Used Ottawa and Kijiji to find a stellar chair to redo. I wasn't looking for anything in good shape by any means. Just something with good bones that could look like a completely different chair when I was done with it. And, I came across this...



This cane barrel chair was love at first site, I tell ya! The seller was asking $40, but I got it for $30. A complete bargain by my books. I'm sure that my husband thought I was nuts when I sent him the ad. I mean, let's be serious - the pink velvet was a huge turnoff and the brown wood was far from what we were looking for. But, I had a vision. So, off to work I went.

And here is the AFTER...




I don't have many in-progress pics, but I can give you a rundown with what I did. I first had to remove the existing seat and back of the chair. The seat was no problemo - I just unscrewed it from the frame. The back, on the other hand was stapled in, with hundreds of staples.

Once the chair was just a frame, we sanded and spray painted the chair in glossy black, and then set with a glossy clear coat.


Then it was onto the actual upholstering step. And let me tell you, there hundreds of staples that I had to remove from this chair. It took several hours and a very cramped hand, but I got it done. I was able to reuse the foam, but I didn't want the back tufted, so I just stuck batting into the holes. I used the existing fabric as a template to cut out my new fabric.

Once the fabric was cut, I just put the chair back together in the opposite way that I had taken it apart (remembering how you took it apart is key here). The back and seat were finally put back together. At this point I applied the nailhead trim for an elegant look.











So, what do you think? Have you ever bought a hideous piece of furniture and made it over to look like a million bucks?

(You'll see more of this chair in my master bedroom reveal on Wednesday.)

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful! This is very inspiring and motivating, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a crazy coincidence. They could be cousins:)I didn't get it, but I hope someone did cuz it was a steal at $20 and see how nice you can make it! Love your refresh of the chair. Glad to meet you and your blog Katherine. PS. I used to live in Ottawa too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO gorgeous...well done! It would be perfect in my living room ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Looks awesome! I have a pair of chairs like this except the backs are not upholstered. Mine are a nice shade of avocado green faux velvet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Ooh avocado green faux velvet! Nice! Hopefully you'll get some inspiration to redo that chair of yours - the process isn't too bad, especially when you can admire the finished product!

      Delete
  5. WOW! GORGEOUS! Love the transformation! Totally NAILED IT! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...