1.15.2013

DIY Ombre Art

Continuing with a focus on my home office redo (I posted about the curtains yesterday), today I want to give you a little tutorial on a DIY ombre art that I painted for this room.



(I still have to hang the artwork - please don't judge! It's on my list of things to do!)

This was a pretty simple project that only took my about 45 minutes or so.

Here's what you need:

1. canvas (Mine is 24" x 36", bought from Michaels with a 40% off coupon - woot!)
2. acrylic craft paint in a colour of your choice (I chose "Royal Fuschia" by Americana)
3. white acrylic craft paint
4. foam brush or paint brush (I used a foam brush, but you could also use a regular brush or even a foam roller)

I decided that I wanted my ombre effect to get lighter towards the centre. But, you can choose how you want the effect to go (ie: top to bottom, bottom to top, left to right, etc...)

Starting with both the farthest left and right, I painted with the pure pink colour. Then, I moved inwards with another strip of a lighter pink (by simply mixing the pink with the white). I continued this into the middle until I reached the lightest colour of pink that I wanted).



I didn't want straight lines since I wanted it to look a little abstract. I did have to go over with a second coat, which meant replicating the exact colours was a little tricky. Needless to say, the second coat didn't match perfectly to the first coat, but that's ok.

I also made sure to paint the edges of the canvas since I wasn't planning on framing it or edging it with a ribbon or tape.

Like I said, a pretty simple project. The entire project costs me about $35. Not too bad for an art piece of this size.




On Thursday, I'll run through my entire to-do list for this room, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...